European Sustainable Development Week 2021
DESOTEC’s efforts to do business in a sustainable way
“Protecting our planet through circular filter solutions for clean water, air and soil”
This is the mission we are on, every single day. We do this by providing companies with filters that capture pollutants from air, water and soil. We use a natural activated carbon that acts like a sponge, sucking up contaminants, and our innovative circular process enables us to reuse the carbon and create energy at the same time. Since our inception in 1990, we have committed ourselves to be a sustainable company, a good neighbour, a great employer and, above all, having a positive impact on the world we live in by protecting the environment with our filter solutions.
Our sustainability strategy and the measures we have taken throughout our business have already earned us an EcoVadis Gold Medal in 2019 and 2020.
In addition to our core business which acts in favour of sustainability and is a circular model, we have taken some further initiatives for climate protection:
- We have installed more than 1 300 solar panels on our roofs, producing clean and local energy; it represents the equivalent of 40 homes’ energy usage for one year.
- We recover the steam and heat from our reactivation furnaces and use it for our heating or transfer it to a neighbour company. It represents about 1 400kWh or 45 homes’ energy usage.
- No employee uses disposable water bottles at work anymore – instead, everyone has a personalised bottle in the shape of a DESOTEC filter unit!
- By using reactivated carbon instead of sourcing fresh activated carbon, we save 170 000 tons of CO2 emissions a year.
- Our new B-PURE carbon grade, dedicated to biogas purification, is produced fully from renewable raw materials, reducing the filtration CO2 footprint of our biogas customers by 90% compared to non-renewable activated carbon usage.
- We use company bikes to travel between our different sites, and all new Belgian company cars have CNG engines and can drive on clean biogas.
We’re proud to say that sustainability is deeply rooted in everyone’s mindset at DESOTEC and it’s at the centre of the “DESOTEC Warriors” spirit: we fight for a bright(er) future!
Learn more about our sustainability strategy and how it answers to UN SDGs here: https://www.desotecsustainability.com/